Friday, April 2, 2010

Weekly Granola

Last year I started to think of ways I could save some money. One of the ways that I came up with was not purchasing shampoo and conditioner. I started out looking for coupons and signing up for free samples. I wanted to make it the whole year without spending any money on shampoo and conditioner. For Christmas I had gotten some really nice smelling shampoo and conditioner and I still had some left in the bottles I was currently using. With a little creativity I knew I could go the whole year without buying shampoo or conditioner. Last April I came across a coupon for $1 off shampoo at a local grocery store. I wanted to find some that smelled good and didn't leave my hair feeling all wierd and limp. I lucked out and found some V05 shampoo on sale for $0.97. I was paid $0.03 to take this shampoo home. From April to September I rotated between the shampoo I had gotten for Christmas and the V05 as well as samples I got in the mail. In September I came across an article about going poo-free. I must admit this piqued my interest. I was very curious on how one could not use shampoo and still have pretty, shiny, clean hair. I decided to give it a try, since this fit in with my challenge of not buying shampoo or conditioner. Now I have been poo-free for over 6 months and I really like it. My hair feels more clean and stays cleaner longer.

Here is how...

Did you know that you really shouldn't wash your hair everyday? Washing your hair everyday strips your hair of oils that help nourish and protect your hair and scalp. Up until September I had washed my hair everyday. If I went a day without washing my hair it would be really greasy. When I read up on being poo-free I realized that my hair was really greasy because it was overcompensating for the fact that I washed the oil out of my hair everyday; it was producing too much oil. I started out with the poo-free method and started going every other day without washing my hair. This is what I used to get my hair clean: baking soda and water for shampoo, apple cider vinegar and water for conditioner. That's it. I fill a squirt bottle with water and about 2 tablespoons of baking soda and shake it up. I filled a spray bottle halfway full of cider vinegar and filled the rest of it with water. Every other day to every three days I wash my hair with this. I wet my hair and then squirt on the baking soda, massage it in, wash it out. I then spray the cider vinegar on my hair, not a lot, just enough to be able to work it through my hair; then rinse. I know what you are thinking..."Doesn't her hair smell like vinegar?" No it does not, matter of fact it really doesn't smell like anything at all. It smells like hair.

You can find more info here

No comments:

Post a Comment