Thursday, April 1, 2010

Busyness

Last Friday my boss gave me wonderful news! He told me I needed to be on a 3 hour conference call about new ways he would like to start marketing. Ugh! I did sit through all three hours listening to the presenter talk about different ways to grow the business and what practices he has implemented in his own office. After the call was over my boss asked me what I thought about the presenter and his ideas. My first impression? Busy. I told my boss that this guy must not have a home life whatsoever because he was always on the go. The rest of the day I thought about how busy our lives are. For some reason us Americans have to be doing something all the time. It seems that if you want to get ahead in your career you have to work amazingly long hours and always be available to whomever needs you at that exact moment. We cart our children to the numerous activities they must be enrolled in. Well not us because we don't have any of those miniature human things (a.k.a children). Why are we always busy? I cannot seem to answer this question or understand why we would want to fill every waking moment of our day with an activity that requires some form of work. I think we should work to live not live to work. Yes, we are put on this earth to work, we have to do some level of work, but our whole existence should not resolve around being busy and acquiring more things. When I get to the end of my life I really don't want to look back and think: "I was too busy." I want to look back on my life and remember the relationships I was able to build. The time I spent with family and friends. If I have to be busy in my life I want it to be in building relationships and in things that last an eternity, not in things that are fleeting and meaningless.

1 comment:

  1. I think people try to fill their lives with everything they can think of because they know they are missing something. What they don't know is that only Christ can fill that void. So they just keep running and running, seeking fulfillment in work or hobbies or activities or friends or alcohol or whatever. It's sad. :(

    ReplyDelete