Saturday, January 16, 2010

Withdrawal

I think I am going through withdrawal. I'm saying that because here I am on a Saturday afternoon bored out of my skull. The same thing happened to me last Saturday. I finished my to-do list very quickly and here I sit with really nothing to do. I shouldn't say there isn't anything to do, there are things to do, I just don't want to do them. Here is what I have done today: got up, showered, laundry, dishes, shovelled some snow, more laundry, cleaned kitchen. Yes much was accomplished, without the television to distract me I got it all done in record time. I even tried to stay as long as possible snuggled up in bed this morning knowing that I would finish my list quickly. I knew that Saturdays would be hard for me, but I didn't realize how bad. Today is worse, I think, because my husband decided to do some overtime at work and is working until 10:30pm tonight. Now I am counting down the hours until I can go out with some friends this evening. This particular set of friends invited my husband and I both out, but since he has to work I am going alone, but I don't care!

This past week has flown by quickly. I didn't miss television at all this week. There was a brief moment when the buzz about an American Idol auditionee sang something about pants on the floor that I wished I knew what was going on. But then I thought about it and decided I really didn't want to know about someones pants being on the floor. Maybe one day I'll be curious and see if it's on You Tube or something. I told a co-worker yesterday about our decision. Her response was: "How could you live without T.V.? What about the news? I would never be able to live without T.V." I should mention that this particular co-worker has 7, yes 7, televisions; one for each room in their home. I know, I don't get it either. As far as the news goes I stay informed by reading about the news instead of watching someone tell me the news. I did know about the earthquake in Haiti and I'm staying on top of current events.

We have seen a few movies in the last week. The first one was Leap Year. This was your typical romance and you pretty much know what is going to happen. There were a few laugh out loud funny parts. With that being said, it really wasn't that great. The main character is amazingly selfish and the two men in her life are both big jerks. Also it kept telling the audience that marriage was old fashioned. Yeah, if it were sooooo old fashioned why do people still do it and why did the main character want to get married so bad? We should've just waited to put this one on our Netflix queue. The other movie that we saw was Book of Eli. I had no idea what this movie was about. The only thing I knew was that is was a post apocalyptic story. The trailers for this movie only seem to let you know that something big happened to everyone and Denzel Washington's character was wandering about a desolate land. I was thinking it was going to be like Mad Max or even kind of like Waterworld but without the water. When the movie first started I thought it was going to be boring and that afterwards I would feel like I had to take my brain out and scrub it to try and forget this movie. I was surprised! This movie had a biblical worldview. I really was dumbfounded and couldn't figure out if it was all going to be tainted at the end. It wasn't, the message got even better. After seeing the movie it makes sense to me why Hollywood did not include the Christian themes in the trailers, they want people to go see it. I am still trying to digest this film. A word of caution, it is not for everyone. If you are a bit squeamish about violence then do not go see this film. While it is not as violent as a Quintin Tarantino film, it comes close and is similar to his films. I do highly recommend this movie.

It did occur to me that while this blog was about making our own adventure without having to watch one on T.V. we have not really made our own adventure. I'm sure that in the future we will have many adventures and the blog will get more exciting, but for now the only adventure is having a really clean house.

No comments:

Post a Comment