Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Random Russian Remembrance

Most of my readers know this, there are probably a few of you out there who don't, but I used to make frequent trips to Russia in my early twenties. I also lived there for a year and half about 7 years ago. Oft times I will be going about my day when a random memory of my time there pops into my head. Because I really wasn't all that consistent in keeping a journal of my experiences there I thought it might be a good idea to blog when I have a random Russian remembrance. Here is one that I had recently:

A friend of mine from India who was temporarily working in St. Petersburg had a really nice apartment in the center of the city. He also had a satellite dish which meant that he could get 4, yes 4, channels in English! That is very exciting to someone who liked to watch countless hours of television. The channels were BBC News, a sports channel (wasn't ESPN, I didn't spend anytime watching it), CNN World, Cartoon Network/TCM. Cartoon Network was on from 9am to 9pm and Turner Classic Movies was on from 9pm to 9am. I would find ways to just pop in and watch television. I even offered to cook him dinner just so I could watch his T.V. The channel I watched the most of, besides the news, was Cartoon Network. The shows that just happened to be on in the evenings was Samurai Jack and Teen Titans. If you haven't seen Samurai Jack you are soooo missing out on a clever cartoon. Watching Teen Titans prepared me to be able to carry on a conversation with my husband about, well, the Teen Titans. And for those of you who don't know my husband he is a major comic book nerd. (By the way in case you didn't know the Teen Titans are superheros, I won't tell anyone that you didn't know that, although I don't think most people do.) One day about a year after I had moved back to the States I was watching the Teen Titans and my husband, who was not my husband at that time, came over and noticed I was watching Teen Titans. He told me the other day that he feel even more in love with me that day.

4 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right!!! That was random...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it really is interesting to see how all the little details come together:)

    I spent a summer in China and we would watch old shows like Growing Pains and have to read lips and turn down the Chinese voice overs. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I came over from the SBS attendees linkup. I can so relate to this. I spent two years in Thailand, the first with only Indian stations, which were supposedly in English, but I couldn't understand them, except for Small Wonder, the single most embarrassing US tv show ever.

    I have the second box set of I Love Lucy's California Road Trip completely memorized as that was all I had to watch! Whenever we see one, I point out all of the mistakes to my hubby and kids. A microphone in the shot, Lucy trying not to laugh . . .

    Great idea to write random memories, obviously it jogged my own memories. Sorry for the long comment.

    Look forward to meeting you in July!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came over from the SBS attendees linkup. I like that you write about your experiences, it's nice touch. Hope you 're having a great day. Stop by my blog and check out my giveaway: A Nestling Purse.

    ReplyDelete